Akismet is the best plugin to filter out the spam comments. In this guide, we will discuss Akismet Anti Spam settings. This is the part of chapter 5 of the free blogging course.
Suggested Read: Best Web hosting Companies to Start a Blog
About Akismet Anti Spam Plugin
Akismet is a WordPress plugin that helps WordPress websites to check all the spam comments automatically and filter them out in the spam comments. Akismet is free for personal blogs. You need to get the keys to successfully activate this plugin. The paid subscription is also available for business websites and commercial websites.
Akismet Anti Spam Settings
1. Go to plugins and then click on add new. Search for Akismet anti-spam or check this plugin in the popular plugins. Now, Install and activate the plugin
2. Now, you will see this option on your screen. We need to generate an API key to activate this plugin. For that, we need to create an account on wordpress.com.
3. Open the website wordpress.com and create an account. You can also sign up with google account or with apple account.
4. After creating your account on wordpress.com, close the website wordpress.com. Now, open your website dashboard and go to the Akismet Anti Spam settings. Click on the Setup your Akismet account button. A new tab will be open (see the image below). Click on the setup Akismet account.
5. Now, select a plan for your website. We are using the free plan of Akismet plugin and it is enough to meet our needs. We suggest you select the free plan and it is a good option for bloggers. Click on the get personal plan.
6. You can follow the same steps that we did in the image below. Type your email address, name, website URL, and tick all the three options. Now, click on the continue with the personal subscription.
7. Open the email address that you have filled in the form. Copy the code that has sent by Akismet and paste it in the box to verify the email address.
8. Now, this is the final step. Open the email address that you have given in the Akismet signup form. In your email inbox, you will see the Akismet API key. Copy the key and go to the akismet anti spam settings and there you will see an option to enter the API key manually. Click on that and paste the API key.